Our Family Has Grown by Two Little Feet


Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day as a Mom

It's taken 30 years, but I finally am deemed worthy of having a reason to celebrate this day in honor of being a Mommy....... to our sweet girl! The day today was kept simple, starting with a 6am wake up call (thank you, Julia), which was preceded by a 3am, 12 am, and 9pm (yesterday) call....... and soon after we were all up and dressed, our little family went out to breakfast for the occasion. The rest of the day was spent like any other, just loving our little one, yet this Sunday gave me a special reason to hold on to our baby girl just a little bit tighter and a little bit longer throughout the day, as I celebrated the fact that she is here, and I am her Mommy.

The highlight of my day was one of Julia's naps.... she fell asleep for me VERY easily and didn't even fuss, then after sleeping for her usual 35-40 minutes, she woke up and I rushed into her room to calm her. And, upon picking her up and rocking her, she actually fell back asleep in my arms. Knowing how these quick little catnaps that she now does just do not add up, I carefully and steadily sunk back into our comfy swivel rocker - without disturbing her - and she continued her little extension of a nap. There, as I sat rocking with her and soaking in how happy I was to be snuggling with my sleeping little girl on Mother's Day, I began to remember how tired I am these days, and realized it was the perfect time to get comfy and join in with her on her little snooze. There we slept for about another 45 minutes and it was, without a doubt, the best part of my day!

Sweetest face I've ever seen

I remember last year at this time, we had recently found out that we were expecting another baby (after having soon before suffered our loss of our first pregnancy). I was 6 weeks pregnant last year for Mother's Day, and I had not quite believed yet that I could REALLY have a reason to celebrate that day - so we didn't. By the time Father's Day rolled around, we were feeling quite confident that our little bun in the oven might actually bake to perfection, so we welcomed that celebration.... and I remember longing to be able to celebrate Mother's Day in 2010. And, with no complications or true reasons to panic for an entire 40 weeks (39 weeks and 3 days to be exact!), we were never so blessed to receive such the amazingly perfect gift as we did, of our little Julia Rian. I was then officially a mother, and suddenly this little life became the most precious thing ever to enter my world. Not only did I then have Mother's Day to look forward to, but also every other holiday and every single day, for that matter, because she is now in our world. People tell you how much you love your children and how it's a love like no other - but, you really don't know that love until it's yours!

Journey to Mommyhood
April 26, 2009 - We're Pregnant!
Proud Big Sister
9 weeks and starting to show a little!

Julia - 9 weeks, 5 days... Our very first glimpse!
For the Daddy-to-be

Julia - 20 weeks
Julia - 30 weeks
Julia - 30 weeks
35 weeks pregnant
39 weeks pregnant... the last weekly picture we got to take!
Christmas Day
Just before heading to the hospital
It's a GIRL! Julia Rian is born! 6 lbs 12.6 oz and 20 inches of pure heaven
Hours old in the nursery
Are you my Mommy?
What having a daughter feels like -
Best feeling in the world!
Our girls
Mommy and Julia
Sweet Pea
18 weeks

Happy Mother's Day to all of my Mommy friends and family - I know now just how much more amazing you all truly are!

3 comments:

  1. Nicki: This is absolutely beautiful. It made me cry. You have such talent as a writer. It's so true-you don't understand being a mother until you are one, and this little lady is truly blessed to have you as her mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing writer, you must write a book! This just melted my heart! This was a perfect Mothers Day blog! You are truly blessed and a fabulous mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying SO hard not to cry! Awesome summary of something you truly can't summarize without feeling it yourself!

    ReplyDelete