Our Family Has Grown by Two Little Feet


Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Julia's First Week!

Yesterday, Julia was 1 week old! This week has flown by and (to sum it up) has been filled with pictures (lots and lots of pictures), videos, smiles, cries, grunts, diapers, sleepless nights, lullabies, lots of "firsts" and irreplaceable memories!

I'll do a quick rundown summary of everyone, because it seems the best way -

Our Star, Julia
.... is doing great! She had her first pediatrician visit on Saturday 1/2 (her due date!) where she gained 2 1/2 oz! We went back yesterday for her 1 week check up and she's still doing great, lost 2 oz, but still on track. She got the second part of her newborn screening done yesterday too where they needed to prick her heel to take some blood. This was not fun. :( She was crying already from being stripped naked, and then when they pricked her foot, her pout face with a huge lower lip joined those screaming cries. Poor kiddo. She survived though... and so did Mom and Dad. :) Now, we won't return until she's 2 months old. That seems so far away at this point, but I'm sure it'll be here before we know it!

She really has been a great baby and I'm already amazed at all of the things she's done this week. She's quite good at holding up her head already (though we don't trust it!), and we've tried tummy time here and there. We've also noticed that her legs are getting stronger and when we hold her upright on our chest, she'll sometimes push up against our stomach in a standing motion. She is STRONG - must have her Mama's dancer legs! :) I wonder how long it'll take me to sign her up for ballet lessons! ;) She loves riding in the car in her car seat and really loves the fluffy, cozy winter suit (eventhough we live in TX) that she gets bundled up in when we go out. She's tried out her first "ride" in her swing and she absolutely loves it! We've started putting her in there while we eat dinner so that she's entertained and we all can eat without holding a baby.

Here are some videos of her first test drive in her swing:
I'm so thankful to have a baby item like this that I think she's actually going to LOVE. We've given her her first bath and though she cried at first, she ended up really liking that, too, and she actually slept a little for us in her crib that night! Because of that, we'd give her a bath every night if it wouldn't dry out her skin - just to get the sleep at night! She seems to have her days and nights mixed up, for sure. After pulling numerous all nighters just holding her and trying to keep her quiet/asleep, I finally broke down and have started falling asleep right along with her in my arms. It seems to be the only way (for now) that we both can sleep. In this one week, she has probably slept in her crib three times at night for about an hour at each of those times. I guess that isn't bad, considering how young she is, but I have been anxious to get her into her routine as quickly as possible. With that said though, I realized the other night that these are the nights I'll someday miss, and because of that made a promise to myself that I would welcome every second that I was able to sleep with her in my arms. I know one of these days, she's suddenly going to sleep all by herself in her crib for large lumps of time, and then I'll miss the nights spent rocking her to sleep in her nursery!

Daddy
.... is wrapped so very tightly around Miss Julia's little pinky finger. It didn't take long at all. I've been jokingly saying that she's already plotting for that really expensive wedding dress she wants someday. :) He has adjusted to "Daddy-hood" better than I could have imagined and is doing a fantastic job. He has even changed one of Julia's diapers - something I thought would take months to coax him into doing! Julia makes the most adorable faces while lounging on his chest - it's clear how comfy she is with her Daddy and how much she already adores him!
Mommy
.... has recovered remarkably well this week, and is still in awe over this little miracle that has joined them! All is going great, I feel more or less healed, the weight is dropping off, and I'd say some of my favorite times spent with Julia so far have been the ones I've spent with her up at 2am rocking in the chair and listening to her fall asleep (note: from above, that it took me a little while to realize this). I love when I sing to her and look into her eyes and she stares back at me and looks oh so entertained eventhough I'm sure I can't carry a tune. I am in love! :)
The "GG's" (aka, the Grandmas)
.... have worked their tails off keeping our house running while I've been otherwise distracted by feedings/burpings/changings/ and all the other things that have come along with my Mommy duties this week! We couldn't have had this first week run so smoothly if it weren't for them being here. THANK YOU, GRANDMAS!!! And, I should mention that they're completely smitten with their new little granddaughter, as she is with them. Andy's mom, "Gran," departed back to NY yesterday, and my mom, "Grandma," will be staying on for another few weeks still. (And, I am thankful for the extra help!)
Delaney
.... has 100% welcomed her new little sister into the household - though every time we get ready to head out somewhere with the baby, I look back at Delaney and I wonder if she's thinking we might actually come back "baby-free" again. She has been remarkably good and ever so gentle. And, one of the most heart warming things I've witnessed from her in this past week is the fact that she now most often will sleep in Julia's nursery, even on the rare occasion where Julia actually sleeps for an hour by herself in there and I head back to our bed, Delaney will stay there laying on the floor right by the crib. She is a great "big sister!" When Julia cries Delaney will come over and just stand there staring at us almost as if to inquire if Julia is OK. We're looking forward to seeing Julia and Delaney grow up together. I think they are going to be the best of friends!


And now.... for some pictures.... there are just a few here - I'll learn right now if it's possible to over extend the amount of photos permitted to be uploaded on Blogger in one post! :)

3 Days old - Julia's first snooze in her crib
Julia's first bath! 3 Days old.
Julia's first visitors - 3 days old. Our nextdoor neighbor, "Aunt" Sandy, with Julia
"Aunt" Sandy and Jen with Julia!
Like Daddy, like Daughter....
Andy snoozing with Julia in the wee hours of the morning while I got ready for her doctor's appointment. How cozy do they look!?
Getting ready for the doctors
This is how Julia rides. :)
Getting weighed at the doctors
Julia's first doctor's appointment
Julia's first check up from the Doctor - 4 Days old
Andy getting Julia dressed to go home
Lounging on me with a full belly
Julia's first trip to Target... very monumental! - 4 Days old


Lounging in her crib watching the lambies dance
Julia's first ride with Delaney
Julia's first package in the mail! "Thanks Mr. and Mrs. Bull! I love my Robeez!" :)
Snoozin' with Gran
All cozy in her blankie
More photos to come soon!


3 comments:

  1. what a beautiful first week post Nic!!!! You captured all the delicious details perfectly! I absolutely love the video of you and Julia at the end! enjoy these amazing first moments! I can't wait to meet her!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love all the pictures! don't worry about a routine, these first few weeks you'll be on HER schedule, hahaha...She'll get her days and nights figured out in no time :o) She's adorable and so lucky to have you and andy as her parents. You all are amazing! Congrats again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun first week!!! Her expressions are priceless--she's going to be one photogenic little girl....good thing with all those pictures :). You guys seem like you're having so much fun with your new baby girl!!! Hurray!

    ReplyDelete