Our Family Has Grown by Two Little Feet


Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, June 4, 2010

Sleep Rolling

I almost hate to "speak" this here on our blog in fear of jinxing ourselves, yet again, but Julia has been sleeping beautifully for the last 3 nights! For all three nights she has been going down around 6pm, sleeping through the 10pm'ish time that she used to wake up to eat, and going straight through 'til about 3am! She has been waking then, eating, and then going right back down to sleep until about 6:30am. Aside from the "sleep teaching" we've been doing, I accredit this loveable sleep pattern to tummy sleeping!

On Thursday, I heard her wake up from a nap, and before rushing in there, I usually creep in (on my hand and knees so she can't see me) and spy on her from the end of her crib to make sure she's really waking up and not just crying in her sleep. Well, on this day, to my surprise, I witnessed my baby (who has always been put to sleep on her back, and has always stayed there) roll over in her crib! She was so proud of herself when she accomplished this feat - it was absolutely adorable to watch. She still didn't know I was there though, so I quickly crept back out of the room and then returned, walking in, and acting all surprised to see her like that, she was so giddy with excitement and pride. Here is her just after I walked in:


Though seeing her roll over in her crib was super cute, I was dreading what was to come - believing that "tummy time" (in Julia's eyes) = "play time." I saw myself having to travel back and forth from our bedroom to the nursery over and over again all night to flip her back over so she could sleep. BUT, when I put her down for her next nap that day, I spied on her again when she was falling asleep, and again she rolled herself over. I decided to leave her that way for a little while and I left the room. When I returned to check on her, only minutes later, she was sound asleep, so sweetly, on her tummy. I was a little nervous about her being a tummy sleeper at first, but she seems to sleep so much better this way, so everyone is happy!

Any prayers are welcome to help this good sleeping streak continue for us! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment